Monday 21 June 2010

Rockhampton

In 18 days I will have traveled to Sydney three times, to Rockhampton once and to Mackay once. Basically one flight every 2 days. I won’t talk about Sydney as that was all business. But Rockhampton was awesome.
A little town on the Capricorn coast Rockhampton has the biggest cattle industry in Oz. It is also where you can find salt water crocodiles or salties as they’re called here. Well let me tell you this: they are big bastards. The biggest ones get over 1000 kgs and have a generally bad temper. I didn’t know this but salties are found from Rockhampton up. They can be everywhere, out on the reefs, inland in rivers, in billabongs. They are really dangerous. The guide tells us that if there is Barramundi, there are salties. I piss my pants and ask whether I took a risk fishing for Barra yesterday and the answer was “you were lucky you were fishing in lake Awoonga where the salties can’t get to”.
The guide throws some chicken at one of the bigger ones and with the sound of a car’s trunk closing the mouth snaps shut. WHACK! Pretty impressive. With my new found respect for murky waters and what may lie underneath we make our way to Mackay… Yes north of Rockhampton…

No comments: