Sunday 9 November 2008

4 x 4 beached as...

Today I'm really happy; I get to drive a huge 4x4: it's a brand-spanking-new Toyota Land Cruiser and I'm going to drive it on the beach. My boss, his wife a couple of colleagues Emma and I are going for a beach run.
I hit the beach at 40 kph, confident my giant all terrain terror of the beach will plough through it. After all I have deflated the wheels and I've locked the wheels in 4x4 mode.
Vroooaaaarrrr! puttiputtiputti pet...
What's this? it doesn't go, I get bogged within 40 meters of hitting the beach. WTF?!A couple of regulars: guys that do the beach thing all the time, watch, grin, and start talking:
- Mate, you got yer gearbox set to 4x4?
- Yeah!
- Mate, you ain't got it set to 4x4.
- You're sure?
- Mate, your front wheels ain't turning, mate.
- Really?
- Fair dinkum mate.
Fuckerthefuck they're right, I feel bad and step on the gas so hard, I must have ejected sand into the stratosphere.

We drive for half an hour or so, and find the perfect spot on the beach. Champagne, beer, fishing rods and chips. Perfect let's fish. After a day where rain showers passed us left and right, the rain-gods figure they've been nice enough and open up the hose. It's raining cats and dogs and we choose not to fight the elements. Besides, it'll be high tide in an hour or so and you have to get off the beach.
We find a restaurant in Noosa and have a good meal.






No comments: