Sunday 17 April 2011

New Caledonia

This week I’m in New Caledonia for work. The only flight available was on a Saturday, so I had to spend a Weekend, all alone, on a tropical island. First of all, the food is absolutely beautiful, the weather is fantastic and I have a 5 star hotel. Looks like a good start to a good week.
I decide to go diving with the local operator. We dive at the Amedee Island. It is a marine reserve filled with fish. I see my very first Eagle Rays flashing by. They are very fast and always seem to be playful. A school of grey sharks are interested in us a come in for a closer look, they size us up and decide not to have a go at us.
And then, it happens: a giant Manta ray, about 5 meters is hovering just above the sea floor. There is a very strong current so I have to hold on to the rocks. I make as little bubbles as possible and slowly claw closer to the enormous animal. I have to breathe and the bubbles scare it away. With 2 strong flicks of it wings is whooshes off, but! It makes a giant full circle and I can see it’s going to come back exactly where it was... I quickly take a few deep breaths; hold my breath while clawing to the exact location where it was earlier... aaand there it is, just above me about 50 cms. Like a giant blanket! The other divers look at me, slightly worried, slightly jealous. I extend my arm and touch it. It feels like the inside of your cheek, but you can feel clearly the strong muscles just below the skin. I now have to breathe again, and I expect it to fly away, but it doesn’t.







No comments: