Saturday 3 May 2008

Afraid of flying.

Those who know me a bit, know that I don’t like flying.
It’s not natural to rocket through freezing air at 850Km/h in a device made of parts fabricated by the lowest bidder. To me it has always been a bad idea.

I know the cliché is that you get killed quite a bit easier on the road. And now I believe it.
I just got of a flight and got into a cab. As most Cab’s in Australia they are driven by young immigrants or very old men.

This time I got one of these old men. He said he worked 6 days a week 12 hour shifts. And this was this last day, he had 2 more hours to go.
Now, imagine: a 76 year old geezer, seriously deprived of sleep, in a car that had: 590.000 kms (!). Now that would be regarded as less safe by some. Interestingly I felt more secure with this old fogey than in a plane… There you have it.

No comments: